Easter Egg Cake



I've had this cake idea in my head for a long time and it's only this Easter that I've had the time to create it. It was a little rushed and there's a lot of room for improvement but I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

The speckled look on the "egg" was created by mixing brown food colouring (a small paintbrush full) with a few drops of vodka. Use a small paintbrush and dab in the mixture, tap off any excess and flick at your egg. (make sure you have a lot of paper towels around your egg!) The idea for this came from The Cake Blog.



With the "cracks" in the egg I used a brown edible powder on a dry paintbrush and dabbed in the cracks to make them look more prominent.

The cake was a 4" vanilla sponge and the "egg" cake was carved and then covered in fondant. The "nest" was created by swirling chocolate in a bowl and letting it set. Tip: Placing it in the freezer for 10 minutes will make it easier to remove from the bowl.

I find that adding little extra details to the cake (like these fondant strawberries below) really make it special.



Have a happy Easter!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. If you have left me a question I will get back to you soon.

Bee
xxx

Subscribe to receive new posts via email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Copyright © 'A Rose Tinted Kitchen' 2013 All Rights Reserved. It takes a lot of time developing, testing and photographing my recipes but seeing them pop up on other blogs makes it all worth it. Just remember to please provide a link back to my recipe. Thanks and happy baking!

Bee
xxx